Thursday, September 22, 2016

Autumn Equinox:: Au Revoir Summer!

FACT: Seasons change as we orbit the sun.


SpringSummerAutumnWinter

Twice a year, around March 20 or 21 and Sept. 22 or 23, our sun shines directly over the equator. That event marks the beginning of spring or fall. What is the equator?





Public Domain photo






e·qua·tor
[əˈkwā•dər]
noun
an imaginary line drawn around the earth equally distant from both poles,dividing the earth into northern and southern hemispheres and constituting the parallel of latitude 0°.




In March when the sun shines directly over the equator, the event is called the spring or vernal equinox. In September when the sun shines directly over the equator, the event is called the fall or autumnal equinox.


The Autumnal Equinox will occur in Los Angeles, California, U.S.A. on Thursday, September 22, 2016. at 7:21 A.M.





Things to look for in fall:


1. Deciduous (di•si•jo͞o•əs) trees will change color and drop all their leaves. Evergreen trees will not. Evergreen trees will stay forever green. :-) Why do the leaves of deciduous trees change color? Use World Book Online to research. Remember, do NOT copy sentences. That is plagiarism, and it is against the law! Take notes, and then turn your notes into your own sentences.







2. On the equinox, there are exactly 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of night. The day and night hours are equal. However, as we continue into fall, the days will get shorter and the night hours will get longer. This pattern will continue until we reach the winter solstice. That is the longest night of the year and marks a new season, winter.




3. Because the northern hemisphere is now tilted away from the sun, the days will start to become cooler. People will change their behavior.What sorts of behavioral changes will your family make as the days get shorter and cooler? (In southern California, we have mild climate. We don't get too cold in our community.)


There are many fall festivals or holidays. Watch the BrainPop video about fall to learn about the many harvest festivals celebrated. Do you celebrate any of these autumn holidays? If so, please share so we can learn from you!







4. Some animals in the northern hemisphere will change their behavior. As fall leads to winter, some animals migrate, or move, to a warmer area. Others try to fatten up for the winter they know is coming.









Share some fun facts about fall!
Did you use BrainPop or World Book Online as a reference?



If you are in the southern hemisphere, tell us what season you are enjoying! How are you changing your behavior?

13 comments:

  1. I like Fall more than Spring because you get to jump in the leaves. You get to play with your friends. The worst part is raking the leaves. I'm excited for Halloween and dressing up. I can't wait.
    Ashlynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Ashlynne!
      This is Skyla and Mikayla.

      We both like fall also.
      And we both love jumping in leaves too!
      Do you know what you're going to be for Halloween yet?

      Delete
  2. Dear,Class
    I love fall because there is rain sometimes.
    Do you like the rain?
    I also like jumping in the leaves with my brother.
    Do you like jumping in the leaves?
    Have a happy Fall!
    Grant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grant,
      It's Noah here. I love fall too. This year I'm going to Mammoth for Thanksgiving. I have never been before. I snowboard, but the rest of my family skis. Can't wait! Have you been to Mammoth before?

      Sincerely,
      Noah

      Delete
  3. Dear, Class
    I love fall it is one of my favorite seasons.
    Have a happy fall!
    Grant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Grant,
      Fall is awesome. I love it because it has rain and there are fall leaves you can jump in. Its really fun and if you are out in the rain you could jump in the puddle. Picture it reading all day when it is raining. Or you could picture this - jumping in fall leaves and having a great time trick or treating. I love the rain, but not to many times because what if you have something planned on the weekend like baseball and it rained hard. I like baseball and soccer. If you are really in to it and it rained. So Sad. What do you do during the fall?

      Kindly,
      Skyler

      Delete
  4. Dear Class,
    My favorite season is Summer because my Birthday is in Summer
    I love my Birthday because I get presents.
    Is your Birthday in Summer?
    Kindly Keira

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Class
    I love fall because when it rain's at night and when you wake up it smells so fresh
    another reason that I love fall is because fall is Halloween season for Halloween I am going to be Harly Quin from suicide sqaud or I am going to be Tigerlilly from Peter Pan.
    What do you like to do during fall?
    Your Friend,
    Ineesha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ineesha!
      Your Halloween costume ideas sound so cool!
      Hopefully you have a good one.
      I like jumping in a pile of leaves in the fall.
      Do you like doing anything in October? (besides celebrating Halloween?)
      Sincerely,
      Mikayla.

      Delete
  6. Dear Class,

    I love the fall because the weather gets cooler. I like to see the colors of the leaves change. I also like to step on the leaves and hear them crunch.

    Your Friend,

    Edan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi class ♔
    I like Fall because I can stay inside and read when it rains.
    Sometimes I can get hot chocolate! Do you like hot-chocolate?
    Kindly,Grant

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Class,

    My favorite season is Summer because my birthday is in Summer. When it is my birthday I like to go to Glowzon. At Glowzon I like to play on sky land so people think it is scary on it.
    I would like to know if your favorite season is Summer to?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Ms. Tulbure's Class,

    I am so happy that Halloween is coming soon! I love Trick or Treating, and getting dressed up. I am going to be Alex Morgan.
    What costume are you guys getting dressed up as?

    Sincerely,

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete