Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Numerous Nouns!

We have been learning about nouns in class. 

A noun names a person, a place, a thing, or an idea. 

Example: A friend needs you. 


Nouns also fall into a few different categories. 


A common noun names any person, place, or thing. 

Example: Our teacher is reading. 



A proper noun names a particular person, place, or thing

Example: Ms. Tulbure is reading. 



A concrete noun names something that you can hear, taste, smell, or touch. 

Example: The crocodile is dangerous.  The sunrise is beautiful. 



An abstract noun names something you think about, but cannot see, taste, smell, or touch.

Example: His childhood was joyous.          Her courage made her strong. 



 Watch the Brainpop Jr. video below for more information about nouns


https://jr.brainpop.com/readingandwriting/word/nouns/


Now it's your turn. 

Write at least two sentences that include either a common, proper, abstract, or concrete noun. 

Identify your noun in your sentences.
Ex: I went to the park today. Common Noun: I

12 comments:

  1. Hi this is Lenore here are my two sentences

    I like playing.

    (Common Noun:I) (Proper Noun: playing)

    I am happy.

    (Common Noun:I) (Proper Noun: happy.)

    Those were my two sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go to the park.
    (common noun: park)

    I am going to a Dodgers Game.
    (proper noun: Dodgers Game)


    Grant

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to a store.
    (common noun : I , store )

    I am going to Universal Studios.
    (proper noun : Universal Studios)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went camping in Ojai.
    (Common noun: I Proper noun: Ojai)

    Scruffy is playing with me at the park.
    (Proper noun: Scruffy Common noun: park,me)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My father helped us plant an Oak Tree.
    (Common noun: Father Proper noun: Oak Tree)

    My mother told me that she likes to smell flowers in the fall.
    (Common noun: mother Concrete noun: flowers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to the Empire State Building.
    Common noun:I

    Edan played tag.
    Proper noun:Edan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the mall.
    (Common noun: mall)

    I am going to Knott's Berry Fram.
    (Proper noun: Knott's Berry Fram)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Skyla! This is Mikayla.

      You're very good at making sentences with nouns in them.
      Have fun going to Knott's Berry Farm!

      Delete
  8. charlotte, I went to the beach.
    (common noun:beach
    I went camping.
    (common noun:camping

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went to Great Wolf Lodge.
    Proper noun: Great Wolf Lodge
    common noun: I

    My mom is smart
    Common noun: mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shelby plays catch with me.
    ( proper noun Shelby )

    My dog runs fast!
    ( common noun dog )

    I have birthday cake for my birthday party
    ( concrete noun birthday cake )( common noun birthday party )

    Taylor is happy today .
    ( Abstract noun happy )( proper noun Taylor )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear class,

    I walk around the Calabasas lake.

    (Common noun : I, Calabasas lake: proper noun)

    Sincerely,
    Ben

    ReplyDelete