Friday, September 22, 2017

Autumn Equinox:: Au Revoir Summer!

FACT: Seasons change as we orbit the sun.


SpringSummerAutumnWinter

Twice a year, around March 20 or 21 and Sept. 22 or 23, our sun shines directly over the equator. That event marks the beginning of spring or fall. What is the equator?





Public Domain photo






e·qua·tor
[əˈkwā•dər]
noun
an imaginary line drawn around the earth equally distant from both poles,dividing the earth into northern and southern hemispheres and constituting the parallel of latitude 0°.




In March when the sun shines directly over the equator, the event is called the spring or vernal equinox. In September when the sun shines directly over the equator, the event is called the fall or autumnal equinox.








Things to look for in fall:


1. Deciduous (di•si•jo͞o•əs) trees will change color and drop all their leaves. Evergreen trees will not. Evergreen trees will stay forever green. :-) Why do the leaves of deciduous trees change color? Use World Book Online to research. Remember, do NOT copy sentences. That is plagiarism, and it is against the law! Take notes, and then turn your notes into your own sentences.







2. On the equinox, there are exactly 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of night. The day and night hours are equal. However, as we continue into fall, the days will get shorter and the night hours will get longer. This pattern will continue until we reach the winter solstice. That is the longest night of the year and marks a new season, winter.




3. Because the northern hemisphere is now tilted away from the sun, the days will start to become cooler. People will change their behavior.What sorts of behavioral changes will your family make as the days get shorter and cooler? (In southern California, we have mild climate. We don't get too cold in our community.)


There are many fall festivals or holidays. Watch the BrainPop video about fall to learn about the many harvest festivals celebrated. Do you celebrate any of these autumn holidays? If so, please share so we can learn from you!







4. Some animals in the northern hemisphere will change their behavior. As fall leads to winter, some animals migrate, or move, to a warmer area. Others try to fatten up for the winter they know is coming.










Share some fun facts about fall!
Did you use BrainPop or World Book Online as a reference?




If you are in the southern hemisphere, tell us what season you are enjoying! How are you changing your behavior?

8 comments:

  1. Hi, My name is Amit did you know that I have a tree that is at the front of my house. Lots of leaves fall from my tree. Do you have a tree? If you do not have a tree do you have leaves in the front of your house? Today I learned my favorite color was red. Is your favorite color?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Austin (Ms. Tulbure`s class)November 21, 2017 at 8:45 PM

      I have a tree in front of my house. It is a Australian Fern. My favorite color is red/orange.Is your tree an Australian Furn. My tree has pink flowers in Spring

      Delete
  2. Hi I am Dylan.I think its going to be hard to win the Family blogging but I am not going to give up.I think I could win because I know how to type really good and my brother won the the family blog.Good luck on winning the November family blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi my name is Dylan. Amit I think red is an awesome color. It is my favorite color too.I have a tree in the front of my house too. Lots of leaves fall off the trees in the front of my house too.What is your favorite colored leave?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dylan, I'm Belana .
      I have a tree in my backyard that is all red, you can barley see the trunk . The leaves fall and my mom keeps saying that I need to rake them up .
      I do it every day , and after I rake them up into a pile , I jump onto it . It's so fun !
      Do you rake up the leaves ?
      From , Belana

      Delete
  4. Hi Dylan , this is Belana . My favorite color leaves are red too , I like how they sparkle in the sun . I like to collect the pretty ones and dry them in my book , but I always forget about them and when I find them I get really surprised . Whats your favorite activity to do with leaves ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear class , This is Belana .
    I love fall because the weather is not to cold and not hot . Also I like how the leaves turn those pretty colors like Red, Orange, Yellow and Brown . Do you Know why ? It's Because the trunk of the tree stores all the nutrients so the tree won't die when winter comes and it gets cold , but the other colors take over . What is your favorite color of leaves ?
    love
    Belana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear,Belana, I love winter! I love winter because I love being cold!Also I love the bright cold crisp snow,every year I either go to Big Bear or Idaho! over there I love to go sledding and skiing! Whats your favorite part about winter? where do you go every year? Do you own a house there?
      from Caspian

      Delete