Friday, February 24, 2017

Stupendous Stone Fox

The class read Stone Fox, by John Reynolds Gardiner, as our first novel. 

It is a story about a boy named Little Willy, who has to take care of the family potato farm after Grandfather takes ill. He soon finds out that Grandfather owes $500 in back taxes, and the farm may be taken away. Little Willy has to think of a way to save the farm, and when the opportunity to enter a dog sled contest is presented, Little Willy thinks he and Searchlight, his dog, have a chance. That is until Stone Fox, a man who's won every race also competes. Read the book to find out what happens. 

Photo by Ms. Tulbure


The class was inspired to research some main facts in Stone Fox, so they got into teams and took notes from Worldbook Online on:
Farming
Sled Dogs
Wyoming
Iditarod
Potatoes
Shoshone Indians

photos by Ms. Tulbure







Students made posters then presented the posters to the class.  



What was your favorite topic?

What else are you curious about researching after reading the book?

3 comments:

  1. Dear class,
    I like Stone Fox because it has sled dogs which I love a lot cause I like husky's. stone fox was emotional at the end but the thing is that the end doesn't have a conclusion which is amazing because then you can write your own conclusion. The conclusion I would write is that Little Willy paid the taxes and had some time with grandfather. He would love him more cause he did something for him. I think that it is a great little story to be very popular and amazing. I enjoyed how the book is on a potato farm and has Searchlight the husky cause he sound like a pretty strong dog. Husky's look like this. They have white and black fur and are very smart dogs.
    They also have a good pulling ability. Thats why I like Stone Fox.
    Kindly,
    Skyler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Class,
    Stone Fox is the best book in my opinion because it is interesting and has a lot of actions. The book is a novel but it is not short a novel does not have to be long, it has to be interesting and great to you. In my opinion, it was a great book to me and an adventurous book and the the thing is, it fits in right in with my favorite genre which is adventure so that does fit right in with the genre I like. I like the book because it has sleds dogs (huskys)which have incredible power and they are very smart dogs. I like dogs better than cats because dogs are more powerful than cats. I hope everybody else liked the end because it was a very memorable and it also has a end where it has no conclusion which than you can write your own end to the book which I think is awesome.
    What was your favorite part?

    Kindly,
    Skyler

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear class,




    I like Stone Fox because it has mysteries that the boy, Little Willy, has to find out and I like mysteries. For example, Little Willey had to find out why his grandfather was sort of dead and how he could pay the taxes. Another reason why I like Stone Fox is because it is also very adventurous. It was adventurous because he entered a dog sled race and he won when Searchlight died.Do you like adventure and mystery?

    ReplyDelete