Tuesday, November 1, 2016

National Geographic Giant Map of ....North America!

Ms. Tulbure is passionate about geography. 
I was very excited when for the last two weeks our school had the National Geographic Giant Traveling Map of North America! 

Each Giant Map comes with a trunk full of resources!
Photo by Mrs Yollis


*     *     *     *     *


We looked closely at the compass rose. Then we practiced traveling north, south, east or west. Knowing direction is important on a map! 
Photo by Mrs. Yollis


The class first explored the map by walking the lines of latitude and longitude. 

All photos by Ms. Tulbure


 Next, the class swam in the Atlantic Ocean



Students then found landforms all over North America (rivers, lakes, mountains, bays, etc.)


Here is the Mississippi River!




 
Brr it's cold on our toes!

We walked on Central America.



We felt at the top of the world in Canada.




  Next, we played a team game. The object of the game: jump between lines of latitude and longitude, using the compass rose, the number rolled on the dice. Teams can knock out a player by completing their last step in the same square (similar to chess). 
The team with the most players still standing on the map is the winner. 




What fun we had on the map!



What was your favorite activity on the Giant Map of North America?

What was something new you learned about?

What would you like to know more about in geography?

9 comments:

  1. Greetings from New York.

    We love the geography lesson using the giant map. Did you see New York when you were swimming in the Atlantic Ocean? We're right next door. Thanks for inviting us to visit your blog.

    Mary Ann and Greg (Keira's aunt and uncle)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello class,

    That map exploration looked like lots of fun!

    I come from Switzerland, in Europe. I wonder how much bigger the map would have to be to show the distance between California and Switzerland? Do you think the map would still fit in the room where it was displayed or would you have to put it on the school parking lot?

    I can't wait to see what other fun exploration you do this month.

    Best,

    Dayana (Ben's mom)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ben's mom
      I think you would have to put it on the parking lot despite the miles and distance between the ocean. It can not because the map would have to be more longer to and might need a truck to carry all heavy load. I don't think it will work out because the then you would have to put the cars on the street and it will hog up the street. So I think we are going to plan it first before putting the massive map on the parking lot. Do you think the parking lot is to big or small?

      Kindly,
      Skyler

      Delete
  3. Greetings class it;s Elior here,
    The giant map was so much fun. I had fun exploring North America. Do you remember when we had color teams? I think that I was team captain two times. When I was in second grade I went one time. This year I had more time to find out where everything is and have fun. Did you have fun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elior,
      This time on the giant map we didn't really get to have freedom on the map. Thats the bad thing, but all in all it was so fun having teams and trying out games. I love the fact that we had color teams. My favorite one is red. Can you tell me Elior why you didn't have time to explore the massive map. You were in my class last year
      and with Mrs.Wilson, she was nice so why didn't she give you time to explore the map. A;there was not enough time.B;there were a lot f things to do.C;we were late to something. Tell me in the reply section please. How fun was it?

      Delete
    2. Hi, Elior.
      Being on the map was very fun! (at least I think so)
      playing the games was also fun, and those were the parts I enjoyed most about the game.
      My favorite game was where Ms. Tulbure rolled the jumbo dice, and we had to try and get people out.
      What was your favorite game?
      Sincerely,
      Mikayla.

      Delete
    3. Hi Skyler,
      I think I said that because we were having so much fun. Do you know the saying “time passes when you are having fun?” I think it was just that we got to go to the map more times. Last year we only went about one time. This year we went like about three times. By the way reader, Skyler said that we had the same time as last year but I thought it was different. The map this year was North America the last time we went. But last year we only got to discover Africa one time. Does anyone in our class this year and last year think that we had the same time or different?
      Sincerely,
      Elior

      Delete
  4. Hi, class!
    It was very fun walking, and playing on the map.
    My team and I almost won the game where you had to move around in order to get people out.
    But most of our team was taken out by others, because most of my team never knew you did not have to have even numbers of turns for two people on the same team going together!
    Everyone else knew you could do that, but I figured out when it was too late..
    What was your favorite game on the map?
    Sincerely,
    Mikayla.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's up Charlotte and Justin here. we had so much fun on the map. It was fun to explore our continent we learned some new games and had lot's of fun.we hope you enjoyed the map as much
    as we did. And did you like the big map?

    good day, Justin& Charlotte


    ReplyDelete