Thursday, January 7, 2016

Winter Solstice and Welcome 2016!

FACT: Seasons change as we orbit the sun.


SpringSummerAutumnWinter


The four seasons are caused by the Earth's tilt as it revolves around the sun. As the Earth orbits the sun, the tilt causes the light from the sun to shine on the Northern and Southern hemispheres differently. This causes a difference temperatures and the amount of daylight in the Northern and Southern hemispheres. 

In the Northern Hemisphere, March 20 or 21 marks the Vernal Equinox, or beginning of the spring season. 


December 22, 2015 at 4:48am UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) marked the beginning of the Winter Solstice. This was the shortest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. This is because the Northern Hemisphere is at the farthest distance from the sun. Those living on the East coast of the U.S. saw only see nine hours and 15 minutes of daylight on that day. 

At the same time, in the Southern Hemisphere, south of the Equator, on December 22 people experienced their longest day of daylight.


Check out the Brainpop video below for the different Solstices and Equinoxes: 

https://www.brainpop.com/science/earthsystem/solsticeandequinox/




Things to look for in winter:

1. Plant life shows little or no growth. In the Fall, after the Deciduous (di•si•jo͞o•əs) trees change colors the leaves will drop. Evergreen trees will stay green throughout the seasons. Why do you think that is? Use World Book Online to research. Remember, do NOT copy sentences. That is plagiarism, and it is against the law! Take notes, and then turn your notes into your own sentences. 


Photo by Ms. Tulbure







2. As temperatures change, so does climate. Weather may be rainy or even snow. Snow will fall when the temperature outside is 0 degrees Celsius

Photo by Ms. Tulbure


Watch the video below for more information about Winter climate:

https://jr.brainpop.com/science/weather/winter/


3. The cooler temperatures also signal for some animals to hibernate. To hibernate [hi-ber-neyt] is to spend the winter in close quarters in a dormant condition, as bears and certain other animal (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hibernation). 

Some animals thrive during this time. You may even see some of these friends walking about:

Photo by Ms. Tulbure




Which other animals thrive in winter? Use World Book Online to research. Remember, do NOT copy sentences. That is plagiarism, and it is against the law! Take notes, and then turn your notes into your own sentences. 



Share some fun facts about winter!
Did you use BrainPop or World Book Online as a reference? 
 
 
Tell us what you enjoy doing in winter.  
How are you changing your behavior due to the weather?




 

8 comments:

  1. Ms. Tulbure,

    I love the picture's that you posted!!! They are so beautiful!!
    I hope that back in Romania you had the best time ever!

    Love Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear class,
    Welcome 2016! Did you know that it snows in Calabasas? I'm so excited for a new year because I'm going to turn ten. I'm going to have a paintball party or a pool party. I might have a pool party because I had a paintball party last year but my brother wants to do it again.
    Have you ever made a snow angel before?


    Warmly,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      Hi! Not yet, but I went to the snow, and it was so so AWESOME! But the worst part was there was no free play! So I was not allowed to make a Snowman or a Snow Angel.

      From, Sarah(:

      Delete
  3. Dear bloggers, This Sunday me and my mom went shopping for clothes. We first went to Target. Inside it is so red. It is as red as a balloon! I bought some clothes and my bought some to.When we were done my mom asked “ Do you want to get some pretzels?” I replied “sure.” Ok then. I am going to go get some you stay right there.When my mom came back she said “ Do you want to go to the Hello Kitty Store?” I answered “Ok” So we walked on over to the store and saw all the places I use to go to like the kids jim and kids Legos. When I stepped into the Hello Kitty store it was as pink as a flower I looked and looked and looked for something there were stuffed animals, shirts,backpacks and more and then in this corner I found something I adored it was a shirt that had a Hello Kitty rapper on it. When I mean rapper I mean the singing one. My mom and I bought it and she said are you sure you want this I nodded my head in a yes way. Then we went to Nordstrom to our dad to pick us up to go to dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salutations!
    I love winter I think it is the best season. Though we do not have snow in where we live. I think of it as cloud of the ground. it looks like a cloud witch I like that about snow and the cold shivery air is very nice and soothing.snow is fantastic and so is winter...
    thank you for your time,
    kiley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salutations!
    I love winter because it is fun and cold. Also it is amazing that in some places in America actually have snow! I think of snow as clouds of the ground and that can also be a simile. A thing that I like about snow is that it is soft especially in June Lake. Winter is also the month of Christmas and I love Christmas so so much! You get to spend time with your family and open presents! So I personally think winter is the best season. Do you like winter or not?

    Thank you for your time,
    Kiley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear bloggers,
    I love winter. It is one of the best seasons and there are lot of reasons why I like winter. I like to travel to Big Bear where it looks like a white winter wonderland without wind. It is fun to have a snowball fight with my friends. My favorite part of going to Big Bear is snowboarding. Feeling the air in your face and the snow on your board. It just an amazing feeling, one that the people who haven’t snowboarded can’t comprehend.
    From,
    John-Paul

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Class,

    My favorite season is summer. I like summer because my birthday is in summer. My birthday is in August. I like my birthday because I get presents. This year I got a hamster. I've been wanting one since I was three. The tip of hamster that I got was a dwarf hamster. But all she likes to do is eat. Some time she wants to eat my finger. I got another hamster for Christmas she doesn't eat at all. Is your birthday in summer?

    Kindly, Keira

    ReplyDelete